APPLICATION OF THYRISTORS IN RAILWAY TECHNOLOGY: CONSEQUENCES AND REMEDIES. INVESTIGATION OF THE EFFECTS OF HARMONICS IN CATENARY CONTACT WIRES ON HIGH VOLTAGE SUPPLY NETWORKS
This report contains the measurements and conclusions thereof on the effects of the harmonics on the overhead contact system (25 kV) of the Hungarian State Railways on the 120 kV high voltage power supply network. These measurements are to establish whether the statement by the ORE Committee A 38 on the operation of rectifier locomotives that: a three-phase energy distribution network can be regarded as symmetric, despite the single-phase railway loading, when the asymmetry of voltage does not exceed 3% (this value is not exceeded provided that the traction load does not account for more than 4 or 5% of the short circuit power in the energy distribution network) is also applicable to the operation of thyristor locomotives. Based on the investigations it can be established that the value of 4-5% permissible for diode rectifier locomotives must be reduced under the prevailing conditions as the voltage distortion generated by thyristor locomotives is approximately three times greater than that of diode locomotives. Together with the summary of the results this report contains a calculation method for determining the relation between corresponding harmonics on the 25 kV and 120 kV sides, which is sufficiently accurate for practical use.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Catenaries (Railroads); Choppers (Electricity); Electric locomotives; Electric power supply; Electric substations; Railroad electrification; Rectifiers; Solid state devices
- Identifier Terms: Magyar Allamvasutak
- Uncontrolled Terms: Propulsion systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Choppers; Question a122; Solid state
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052557
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A122/RP 14/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1975 12:00AM