BEHAVIOUR OF THE METAL OF RAILS AND WHEELS IN THE CONTACT ZONE. CALCULATION OF THE COMPLEX STRESS CYCLES IN THE RAIL SUBJECTED TO ROLLING LOADS. ASSESSEMENT OF THE DANGER OF DAMAGE (CONTINUED)
This study deals with new calculations of the composition of the residual stresses and the stresses induced in the rail during the passage of wheels, for different loading values, wheel diameters and wheel-tyre transverse curvatures. One thermal stress and three residual stresses have been considered. The latter have been calcuated and then measured with the help of an original strain-gauge method. The danger of rail damage has then been evaluated by means of the damage line criterion proposed by Mr. Dang Van (see C 53/RP 7 and C 53/RP 8). It has been possible in this way to define the danger factor for each loading case. It has been shown that two types of danger exist, namely, fatigue and plastic deformation.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1973-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Defects; Detection and identification; Dynamics; Fatigue (Mechanics); Rail (Railroads); Railhead; Shelling (Metals); Stresses; Structural tests; Thermal stresses; Train track dynamics; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rail flaw detection
- Old TRIS Terms: Question c53; Rail shelling; Rail stress; Rail tests; Rail thermal stresses
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052555
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: C53/RP 9/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 31 1976 12:00AM