STANDARDISATION OF WHEEL PROFILES. RECOMMENDATIONS CONCERNING A UNIVERSAL WHEEL PROFILE ADAPTED TO WEAR (UIC/ORE PROFILE) VALID REGARDLESS OF THE WHEEL DIAMETER AND THE TYPE OF VEHICLE
Following the studies carried out by a special group of "Rolling Stock" and "Track" Specialists, a "standard profile adapted to wear" has been developed. This profile, called the "UIC/ORE profile", does not constitute a compromise but, on the contrary, combines the best elements of the existing profiles. Together with the appropriate justifications and arguments, the present report gives the geometrical values recommended for the shape of the flange and for the outer part of the tread, the mathematical representation of the standardized profile, and the recommendations for its practical application. The "UIC/ORE profile" is valid regardless of the wheel diameter (ranging from 1000 mm to 330 mm for trailer stock) and the type of vehicle. In the opinion of the Specialists, it permits speeds of up to 140 km/h to be attained for old types of non-bogie vehicles and bogie vehicles, and 160 and even 200 km/h for vehicles equipped with modern bogies. The adoption of this "adapted wear profile", combined with the use of wheels with treated rim (see Report B 98/RP 9), should permit the greater part of the Administrations to achieve substantial economies (materials, staff, machine-tools, vehicle stoppages,...) due to the reduction in the number of re-profilings and the elimination of flange-wear.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Flanges; Motor vehicles; Railroad cars; Stability (Mechanics); Standardization; Vehicle design; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Wheel profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Question s1002; Wheel design; Wheel flange; Wheel tread design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052551
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: S1002/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 31 1976 12:00AM