QUALITY OF RAILS AND MEANS OF GUARANTEEING IT. PROPOSALS CONCERNING THE 6TH EDITION OF TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION 860-0 GOVERNING THE SUPPLY OF VIGNOLE (FLAT-BOTTOM) RAILS OF NON-TREATED STEEL
At the request of the 7th UIC Commission, the D 45 Specialist Committee has been charged with studying the dimensional tolerances of rails with a metric weight greater than 60 kg. As the administrations made increasing use of heavy rails it become necessary to include in Technical Specification 860-0 for the supply of Vignole (flat-bottom) rails of non-treated steel, the maximum permissible dimensional tolerances for these heavy rails. Having regard to the results of the tests already carried out within the scope of its programme of work and the experience gained by its members, the D 45 Specialist Committee deemed it advisable not to limit its investigations merely to the problem of dimensional tolerances, but to examine the whole specification at the same time, and to group into one report all the amendments and additions which it intended making to the existing text. The most important amendments concern marking, freedom from defects, dimensional tolerances, and certain acceptance and guarantee conditions. The wording of the texts at present in force and of the texts proposed to the 7th UIC Commission have been completed by remarks explaining or justifying the decisions of the D 45 Specialist Committee.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-4
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Defects; Detection and identification; Rail (Railroads); Rail steel; Railhead; Specifications; Structural tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rail flaw detection
- Old TRIS Terms: Flat bottom rail; Question d45; Rail head profile; Rail metallurgy; Rail technology; Rail tests
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052525
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D45/RP 11/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 24 1976 12:00AM