DERIVATION AND DISCUSSION OF A REGRESSION MODEL FOR ESTIMATING THE FUEL ECONOMY OF AUTOMOBILES
This paper presents a discussion on the functional form (based on a theoretical analysis) of a regression model for estimating the fuel economy of motor vehicles. The statistical analysis tests the data for heteroskedasticity, investigates the use of different combinations of explanatory variables, discusses multi-collinearity, and determines the elasticities of fuel economy with respect to the various explanatory variables. Also, the analysis shows that the regression model can be treated as a case of restricted coefficients. The results of the statistical analysis -- mainly the high value of the corrected coefficient of determination, and the very high values of the test statistics of all the coefficients of the regression -- indicate that the selected model is satisfactory for the population represented by the given data.
- Presented at SAE Passenger Car Meeting, Dearborn, Michigan, 11-15 June 1979.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Bascunana, J L
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Elasticity (Mechanics); Estimating; Fuel conservation; Fuel consumption; Mathematical models; Regression analysis; Statistical analysis
- Uncontrolled Terms: Heteroskedasticity
- Old TRIS Terms: Regression model
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00308365
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790654, HS-029 321U
- Files: HSL, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1984 12:00AM