FUEL SAVING GEAR OILS
The factors affecting fuel economy in gear/oil systems are reviewed and possible means for improving efficiency identified. A number of bench and full scale vehicle and component tests for measuring possible fuel savings are described and the results discussed. Both positive and negative factors in the use of low viscosity gear oils are discussed and compared to the effects of friction modification. Positive benefits by the use of oil soluble friction modifiers are shown.
- From SAE Meeting June. 11-15, 1979.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Papay, A G
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Benefits; Economic efficiency; Friction; Fuel conservation; Fuel consumption; Gears; Lubricants; Lubricating oils; Reviews; Viscosity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00307883
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790745
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 9 1980 12:00AM