SERPENTINE -- EXTENDED LIFE ACCESSORY DRIVE
A new automotive accessory drive arrangement known as "Serpentine Drive" has been developed. The said arrangement employs a single, longitudinally ribbed drive belt, "snaking" around all the accessory pulleys to provide the driving force. Belt tension is applied and maintained by an automatic tensioning device, thus, belt slippage, which contributes to belt degeneration through the wear and heat generated in the process is virtually eliminated. Drive belt service lift has been considerably increased and maintenance literally eliminated.
- From the SAE Meeting June 11-15, 1979.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Cassidy, R L
- Fan, S K
- MacDonald, R S
- Samson, W F
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Automotive engineering; Computer aided design; Manual safety belts
- Uncontrolled Terms: Accessories; Belt drives
- Old TRIS Terms: Automotive accessory drive; Belts
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00303465
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790699
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 30 1980 12:00AM