FRICTION MATERIAL RIVETING STUDIES -- LOAD-DEFLECTION CHARACTERISTICS AND FINITE ELEMENT MODELING
Experimental load-deflection data for rivets alone and for complete shoe and lining assemblies are presented and discussed. Comparisons are made between conventional taper head and umbrella head rivet designs, as well as a new tapered shank rivet design. Finite element modeling of the friction material in the area around a rivet is presented to help evaluate the stress field for different rivet head configurations, with orthotropic or isotropic elastic properties assumed for the friction material.
- Presented at SAE Passenger Car Meeting, Dearborn, Michigan, 11-15 June 1979.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Knapp, R A
- Anderson, A E
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Brake linings; Brakes; Elasticity (Mechanics); Finite element method; Isotropy; Mathematical methods; Mathematical models; Motor vehicles; Orthotropic; Rivets
- Old TRIS Terms: Riveting
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00303393
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790716, HS-029 358U
- Files: HSL, TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 30 1984 12:00AM