EFFECTIVE AERODYNAMIC PROGRAM IN THE DESIGN OF A NEW CAR
The design of the 1980 General Motors front-wheel-drive car received the most comprehensive aerodynamic analysis of any vehicle in corporation history. In addition, the aero study began at an earlier date in the design program than any previous GM car. The result was a design with the lowest aerodynamic drag when comapred to a representative cross section of domestic and import family-type cars being marketed today. The final outcome was a substantial fuel economy benefit on the road and on the EPA test.
- From the SAE Meeting June 11-15, 1979.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Nedley, L
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 11 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamics; Automobiles; Drag; Front wheel drive; Fuels; Vehicle design; Vehicle dynamics
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00303384
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790724
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 30 1980 12:00AM