Smart Picks for Teen Drivers: IIHS Updates Criteria for Recommended Used Vehicles
This article summarizes the latest update to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) list of recommended used vehicles for teens. The list includes 49 “best choices” which are priced starting under $20,000 and 82 “good choices,” starting under $10,000. The IIHS started compiling lists of recommended used vehicles for teens in 2014. This year’s list was created under more stringent criteria, to reflect recent safety improvements in new vehicles. David Zuby, chief research officer at IIHS, notes that “good crash protection is more affordable than ever.” The article includes a checklist of basic principles for choosing a vehicle for a teenager, reminds parents to check for outstanding recalls on used vehicles, and suggests that families plan ahead to choose a vehicle that can be handed-down to a teen driver. Readers are referred to a complete list of recommended used vehicles for teens.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/0018988X
- Publication Date: 2017-4-12
- Media Type: Web
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile ownership; Crashworthiness; Teenage drivers; Vehicle safety; Vehicles
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 01637813
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 7 2017 2:24PM