Relationship Between Lifespan and Mechanical Performance of Railway Ballast Aggregate
As lifespan is the main criterion for the selection of aggregate for ballast and for planning the maintenance of railroad, it is important to define the relationship between the particle load resistant characteristics and the ballast‘s lifetime in structure. Assessment of the quality of the ballast particles under dynamic and static loading should reflect both the toughness and hardness, and these can be identified with the values of Los Angeles Abrasion and microDeval Abrasion. In order to predict the amount of loads, expressed in cumulated tonnes, the model formerly developed by Canadian Pacific Railroads was adapted. A number of different aggregate mixtures were tested in the laboratory including dolomite and granite rocks. The results were used to assess the gross tonnage possible to transport during the lifetime of ballast until repair or reconstruction should be done. The outcome of this study is the possibility to classify the requirements for aggregates‘ Los Angeles abrasion and micro-Deval abrasion values attributing them to designed traffic volumes.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://master.grad.hr/cetra/ocs/index.php/cetra4/cetra2016/schedConf/presentations
- Abstract reprinted with permission of University of Zagreb Faculty of Civil Engineering, Department of Transportation.
University of ZagrebFaculty of Civil Engineering, Department of Transportation
Zagreb, Croatia 1000
- Ramūnas, Vaidas
- Vaitkus, A.
- Laurinavicius, A.
- Cygas, D.
- 4th International Conference on Road and Rail Infrastructure – CETRA 2016
- Location: Šibenik , Croatia
- Date: 2016-5-23 to 2016-5-25
- Publication Date: 2016-5
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: pp 659-665
- Monograph Title: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Road and Rail Infrastructure – CETRA 2016: Road and Rail Infrastructure IV
- Proceedings of the International Conference on Road and Rail Infrastructure CETRA
- Publisher: University of Zagreb
- ISSN: 1848-9850
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Ballast (Railroads); Life span; Performance; Railroads
- Identifier Terms: Los Angeles Abrasion Test; Micro-Deval Abrasion Test
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 01633614
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 2017 12:03AM