A COMMERCIAL/GOVERNMENT PROGRAM MANAGEMENT SYSTEM--ONE THAT WORKS
A unique RD&E program management system has been developed for application in a commercial product development-oriented environment. This management system represents one very tangible attainment of the project for which it was expressly developed and successfully applied--an RD&E program whose costs were shared equally between a government agency and a commercial market-oriented corporate entity. This management concept has been evolved around: (1) a substantial revision of the INPUT/OUTPUT management control system that features a new technique for measuring effectiveness; and (2) the concurrent development of the Project Overall Status Summary, that provides executive evaluations of project performance relative to goals. The "overall effectivity" formulation developed herein provides means for evaluating trends in RD&E project performance. The Project Overall Status Summary has proven itself to be an effective means for explicitly assessing the status of project performance goals and describing technical accomplishments. Based on successful applications illustrated herein, these systems provide an effective means for improved RD&E project management.
- Presented at meeting of the Chesapeake Section of SNAME.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Kaplan, S M
- Publication Date: 1974-3-5
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost effectiveness; Gas turbines; Management; Planning; Project management
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00052138
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Contract Numbers: DOC 0-35510
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1974 12:00AM