HOT PROCESS RECYCLING OF ASPHALT PAVEMENT MATERIALS -- STATE-OF-THE-ART
Continuously increasing costs of roadbuilding materials have generated considerable interest in reclaiming and reprocessing of existing asphalt pavement materials. Reprocessing of this reclaimed asphalt coated material cannot be accomplished with totally conventional asphalt hot mixing equipment without the production of the "blue smoke" This paper details several processes used in the industry during the past two years to recycle asphalt pavement without formation of the objectionable smoke using conventional asphalt mixing equipment with some modifications. These processes involve various approaches to heating the reclaimed asphaltic material by blending it with overheated new aggregate and by direct contact with low temperature combustion gases.
- Prepared for SAE meeting, April 23-25, 1979.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Beaty, R W
- Binz, L V
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 16 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
- TRT Terms: Asphalt; Bituminous materials; Hot rolling; Maintenance; Mixers; Pavements; Recycling; Road materials; State of the art studies
- Old TRIS Terms: Bituminous; Highway pavement
- Subject Areas: Construction; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00301657
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790535, HS-029 235U
- Files: HSL, TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 27 1984 12:00AM