LEANWAY: A LEANING SUBWAY
This paper proposes a new type of subway. Surface stations and very deep tunnels would result in steep grades. The Leanway vehicle would have passenger pods that remain level on the grades. Gravity would accelerate and decelerate the vehicles, contributing to energy conservation. Fairly detailed projections are presented, and cost savings compared with contemporary rapid transit subways are claimed. Linear Induction Motors and Magnetic Levitation are considered.
Sottile (Antonine Lafata)P.O. Box 28292
Washington, DC USA 20005
- Sottile, A L
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 70 p.
- TRT Terms: Intelligent transportation systems; Linear induction motors; Magnetic levitation; Rapid transit; Subways
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Leanway system
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052076
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1981 12:00AM