CATALYST SYSTEMS WITH AN EMPHASIS ON THREE-WAY CONVERSION AND NOVEL CONCEPTS
The effects accruing from the choice of precious metals and their relative ratios are considered in catalyst systems used in VW and cars under open loop conditions and dynamic closed loop controlled engine conditions in conjunction with an exhaust gas oxygen sensor. The best catalyst system for three-way activity found when comparing major manufacturer technologies was the system Pt/Rh = 5:1 which is introduced in two 1979 engine families sold in California, VW microbus and Audi 5000. This paper discusses also the interrelationship between window and sensor characteristic and novel emission control concepts including metal supported catalyst and catalyzed exhaust pipes for the improvement of warm-up.
- From the February 26-March 2, 1979 Meeting.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Oser, P
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Catalytic converters; Emission control systems; Exhaust gases; Sensors; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00301483
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790306 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 27 1979 12:00AM