IN PLACE OF CONGESTION
The likely developments in freight transport technology in Britain during the coming 10-15 years are investigated by the author. Emphasis is placed on the need for careful planning to prevent further congestion. It is suggested that the distribution of freight in urban areas would be facilitated by the setting up of consolidation centers at strategic peripheral locations within urban areas, with the use of rapid transit routes in off peak hours. The author further subscribes to the widely held view that technology readily available at the present time could be more freely applied to the railways.
Loughborough University of TechnologyDepartment of Transport Technology
- Bonwit, R
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight service; Network analysis (Planning); Rapid transit; Transportation; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00052072
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Book
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1982 12:00AM