ADVANCED RESTRAINT SYSTEM CONCEPTS
The seat belt pretensioner designed to eliminate belt slack in lap/shoulder belt systems with emergency locking retractors, is described as well as the current Mercedes-Benz passive restraint system which consists of air bags deployed by means of solid propellant gas generators, knee bolsters, and an electronic crash sensor with dual level triggering function. Combinations of lap/shoulder belts, air bags, and pretensioners are presented and lead to the conclusion that an optimal restraint system would not be in compliance with current regulations.
- From the February 26-March 2, 1979 Meeting.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Reidelbach, W
- Scholz, H
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 13 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
- TRT Terms: Air bags; Automobiles; Oven drying; Passive restraint systems; Pretensioning; Restraint systems; Safety equipment
- Old TRIS Terms: Lap/shoulder belt systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00301466
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790321 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 27 1979 12:00AM