AIR CUSHION ICEBREAKER TEST AND EVALUATION PROGRAM. VOLUME 1: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
During the winter ice season, November 1977 through March 1978, the U.S. Coast Guard R&D Center, Avery Point, Connecticut, conducted an operational test program to evaluate air cushion vehicles as icebreakers. The vehicles used were the MACKACE ACV barge and the self-propelled LACV-30. Tests were conducted on the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers with operations centered around Peoria, Illinois. The MACKACE ACV was used solely to facilitate river commerce while the LACV-30 was used in this role and also for flood control purposes. Extensive operational tests were conducted which produced data concerning icebreaking techniques and the effects of icebreaking on river commerce. Tests also established information on design criteria for ACV icebreakers, their maneuverability and control, operating costs and impact on Coast Guard personnel and facilities. As a result of the test program, significant advances were made in understanding ACV icebreaking procedures. The characteristics of ice were studied, and the necessity for developing ice classification and an icebreaking effectiveness methodology was identified.
- This report is an Executive Summary of the work reported in Volume II, "Operational and Engineering Analysis: ACV Icebreaker Test and Evaluation Program."
United States Coast GuardResearch and Development Center, 1082 Shennecossett Road
Groton, CT United States 06340-6096
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20593
- Buck, J
- PRITCHETT, C W
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Features: References;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Air cushion vehicles; Barge operations; Economic analysis; Ice; Ice phenomena; Icebreakers; Icebreaking; Maneuvering; River ice; Rivers; Vehicle design; Water traffic
- Old TRIS Terms: Ice characteristics; River traffic; Skirt design
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00308744
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-21-79, Final Report
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-81-1856
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 2003 12:00AM