LATEX MODIFIED CONCRETE BRIDGE DECK OVERLAYS--FIELD PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS
Data on field performance of 132 bridge decks overlaid by latex mortar or concrete in Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky and West Virginia as well as some data from Minnesota and Vermont were collected according to a specially designed inspection questionnaire. Common durability distress features and the factors that might influence them were identified. Statistical analysis was performed to determine the set of variables that best explain the variation in the surface distress features among the different latex projects investigated and to quantify the relationship between overlay condition and the pertinent variables through the formulation of regression models. Further assessment of available performance data was conducted to tie the obtained relationships with the limited data on effectiveness of latex overlays in providing corrosion protection to the deck rebars and to develop hypotheses on the formation and development of latex overlays various durability defficiency features. The results obtained and the conclusions drawn explain, quantify and delineate the interrelationship among such factors as years of service, ADT, trafficked vs. untrafficked decks during placement, continuous vs. simply supported decks, thickness of overlay and skid number on the overlay durability and corrosion protection capability. (FHWA)
- Study conducted in cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Bishara (Alfred G)4509 Norwell Drive
Columbus, OH USA 43220
Columbus, OH USA 43215
- Bishara, A G
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Average daily traffic; Bridge decks; Concrete; Corrosion protection; Deterioration; Durability; Latex; Mortar; Overlays (Pavements); Performance; Thickness
- Uncontrolled Terms: Field performance
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00308518
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/OH/79/004 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: State No. 14298(0)
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM