VIRGIN ISLANDS TRADE STUDY: AN ECONOMIC ANALYSIS
This study was commissioned in order to review and examine the adequacy of the past and present shipping services provided to the Territory. The ultimate objective of this study was to compile information on the various aspects of the ocean shipping industry, as they impact on the Virgin Islands, and to prepare a comprehensive report so that concerned parties could have a better understanding of the particular nature of ocean shipping and how it relates to the Islands. Chapter II, describes the strengths and weaknesses, and the problems and needs of the Virgin Islands' economy. Chapter III reviews the composition of the past and present domestic fleet which has and currently is, providing the Islands with ocean transportation services. Many of the ports and harbors through which Virgin Islands' commerce flows are described in Chapter IV. This chapter details the facilities and services available at the various ports and enumerates the variety of charges assessed at such facilities. The theory behind ratemaking in the ocean transportation industry is explained in Chapter V. Next, the nature and quantity of commodities imported and exported by the Territory, with special attention given to liner-type cargoes, is analyzed. Chapter VI discusses the relative importance of trade with various foreign nations as well as the United States mainland. One of the major accomplishments of this chapter was the aggregation of data detailing the amount and type of foreign liner imports. These data, appearing in appended Tables, have not been previously available in such form. The historical level of ocean freight rates and general rate increases in the Virgin Islands domestic offshore trade is explored in Chapter VII. Chapter VIII discusses particular problems associated with ocean shipping in the Virgin Islands trade. For those persons wanting only a brief and limited overview of this study, Chapter IX summarizes the contents of the various chapters.
Federal Maritime CommissionBureau of Industry Economics, 1100 L Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20573
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Development; Domestic transportation; Economic analysis; Economics; Exports; Imports; International trade; Liner shipping; Marine terminals; Policy; Port operations; Port structures; Ports; Shipping; Statistics; Systems analysis; Trade; Transportation; Trend (Statistics)
- Geographic Terms: Caribbean Area; U.S. Virgin Islands
- Old TRIS Terms: Commodity statistics; Domestic shipping policies; Shipping economics; Shipping policies; Trade analysis; Trade statistics; Transportation system analysis
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Policy; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00308411
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1980 12:00AM