BEHAVIOUR OF LARGE SHIPS DURING HARBOUR MANOEUVRES
In his Introduction, the Author mentions, inter alia, that although ship-handling cannot be reduced to a science, with numerical rules, there is no doubt that intuition and experience (though indispensable) must be supported by a more quantitative appraisal both of the environmental forces exerted on the ship and of the means available to overcome these forces. Furthermore, quantified values of the various phenomena are essential data for the design of the equipment and structures required to assist the ship in its harbour manoeuvres and associated operations. The paper, in which the ship and its environment are examined and discussed in relation to ship behaviour in harbour manoeuvres, is arranged under the headings:--1. Introduction. 2. Environmental Effects--Wind (Expression of the Forces--Wind Data--Value of Aerodynamic Coefficients--Approximate Values of Forces--Drift of Ship when Stopped--Drift with Ship Underway--Turning Effect of the Wind). 3. Environmental Effects--Current (Forces Developed by the Current--Lateral Drag--Axial or Longitudinal Drag--Approximate Values of Forces). 4. Environmental Effects--Waves (Wave Effects in Harbour Manoeuvres--Wave-induced Forces--Oscillating Motion in Waves--Wave-induced Drag or Drift Movements--Effect of Waves on Course Stability). 5. The Role of Inertia. 6. Manoeuvring Facilities (Propulsion--The Helm--Lateral Thrusters). Order from BSRA as No. 52,161.
- Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Ship Approach and Berthing Manoeuvres, Grenoble, Sept. 1977.
Intl Symp on Ship Approach & Berthing ManoeuvresGrenoble, France
- Sommet, J
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Drift; Force; Maneuvering; Ocean currents; Ship pilotage; Wave drag; Waves
- Uncontrolled Terms: Wave forces
- Old TRIS Terms: Course stability; Current forces; Shallow water maneuvering; Wave effects; Wind forces on ships
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00308995
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 31 1980 12:00AM