SUITABILITY OF TRAY-PACK SHIPPING CONTAINERS AND BIN CONTAINERS FOR PALLETIZED OVERSEAS SHIPMENTS OF SMALL APPLES
The purpose of this study was to investigate ways to package and ship fresh apples to Europe at lower costs or to improve their arrival condition or both. This study investigates the costs of packaging and shipping in shallow-cup and deep-cup tray-packed boxes, palletized and nonpalletized, and bin boxes, palletized. In addition, the extent of bruising of the apples, damage to the boxes and bins, and pilferage of apples when they were packed and shipped in these containers were investigated.
- Marketing Research Report.
Agricultural Research ServiceTransportation and Facilities Research Division
Beltsville, MD United States
- Fountain, J B
- Hovey, R M
- Risse, L A
- Doordan, M
- Publication Date: 1972-8
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Chilled cargo; Containerized fruit; Cost effectiveness; Fruits; Pallets; Unitized cargo
- Old TRIS Terms: Palletized cargo
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00051976
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Agricultural Marketing Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MRR-#945
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 9 1974 12:00AM