FABRICATION AND ASSEMBLY OF A GRAPHITE FIBER REINFORCED PLASTIC VEHICLE
The following paper has been prepared to describe the procedures used to fabricate and assemble a lightweight demonstration vehicle, built under contract to Ford Motor Company. G.F.R.P. (Graphite Fiber Reinforced Plastic), the specified material for the major body components, made it neceassary to combine state-of-the-art aerospace manufacturing methods with current automotive prototype technology to ensure successful completion of the project. Major areas of emphasis include; master tooling aid development, high temperature epoxy molds, component fabrication, component subassembly and body assembly. These areas will be discussed in detail, along with the completion and final assembly of the lighweight vehicle.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Cedar, D A
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Components; Epoxides; Fibers; Graphite; Lightweight materials; Manufacturing; Motor vehicle bodies; Plastics; Reinforcement (Engineering); Technology transfer; Tools
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile bodies; Epoxy; Tooling
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00308699
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790029
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1980 12:00AM