CONTROLLED FREEZING FOR TEMPORARY GROUND SUPPORT
Controlled ground freezing for mining and construction applications has been in use for over a century. Despite the great technological evolution which has occurred during this period, ground freezing is still used on projects today with much the same basic technology as that used originally over 100 years ago. Major developments have occurred in the separate fields of frozen soil mechanics, refrigeration, and heat transfer analysis. However, except for a few projects in Europe and Asia, these developments have not been combined to upgrade ground freezing techniques to their potential level. In view of this situation, it is believed desirable to examine the art of ground freezing in light of recent technical developments, together with highlights on some of the apparent advantages, disadvantages and economics of the various alternative approaches. The purpose of this paper is to attempt such an examination, with particular emphasis on the practical application of presently available technology.
- Appeared in the proceedings of the North American Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference 1972, Vol. 2. Conference was held by the Society of Mining Engineers and the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum Engineers.
American Institute of Mining, Mettalurgy & Petroleum Engineers345 East 47th Street
New York, NY USA 10017
- Shuster, J A
- Publication Date: 1972
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Analytic geometries; Boulders; Calculation; Excavations; Freezing; Groundwater; Physics; Rapid transit; Refrigeration; Sand; Soft rock; Subways; Technology; Tunneling; Tunnels; Water table
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computation
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytic geometry; Groundwater control
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology;
- Accession Number: 00051933
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Institute of Mining, Mettalurgy & Petroleum Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1974 12:00AM