MODIFIED FUELS FOR DIESEL ENGINES BY APPLICATION OF UNSTABILIZED EMULSIONS
An in-fuel-line mechanical emulsification has been developed at Ontario Research (the ORF HydroShear) which is compatible with installation in the fuel system of both light duty and heavy duty diesel engines. The installation of the HydroShear on 97 and 149 kW diesel engines is described, together with its mode of operation. A comparative study of water/diesel fuel emulsions applied to both two and four stroke cycle diesel engines has shown exhaust emissions and engine performance to with the four-stroke engine. Particulate and NO sub x emissions were reduced by up to 50%. Testing HydroShear capability to fuel engines with methanol/diesel emulsions has indicated that methanol can be used as a diesel fuel extender with this technique. Total particulate emissions were reduced by 75%.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Lawson, A
- Last, A J
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel engines; Diesel fuels; Emulsions; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Methanol; Particulates; Performance
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00308662
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790925
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM