TRUCK DESIGN OPTIMIZATION PROJECT PHASE II. FRICTION SNUBBER FORCE MEASUREMENT SYSTEM (FSFMS) FIELD TEST REPORT
This report documents the results of the Friction Snubber Force Measurement System (FSFMS) special road test program that was performed during TDOP Phase II. The FSFMS was designed, built, and shop-tested during TDOP Phase I (see FRA/ORD-78/69). Descriptions of the test equipment, procedures, methods of data analysis, results, and recommendations are contained in this report. The test program was successfully completed using friction snubber transducers to obtain friction forces in over-the-road truck tests. The primary purpose of the tests was to obtain estimates of the friction coefficients associated with ASF Ride Control and Barber S-2 70-ton trucks. The report provides some preliminary analyses using the test data and recommends areas where additional information may be extracted.
- Record URL:
- This test report is supplemented by the FSFMS Test Data Tapes, FRA/ORD/MT-79/24 and the Measurement of Friction Snubber Forces in Freight Car Trucks, Final Report, FRA/ORD-78/69, dated December 1978.
Wyle LaboratoriesScientific Services and Systems Group
Colorado Springs, CO United States 80915
Washington, DC United States 20590
- GIBSON, D W
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Coefficient of friction; Dynamics; Equipment tests; Instrumentation; Research projects; Road tests; Snubbers; Suspension systems; Trucks; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Test equipment; Truck dynamics
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00308278
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-79/24 Test Rpt., TDOP Tech Rpt. TR-08
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-742-4277
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 11 1980 12:00AM