GUIDELINES FOR SELECTING TRAFFIC SIGNAL CONTROL AT INDIVIDUAL INTERSECTIONS. VOLUME I
This report describes the results of an analysis of the benefits and costs associated with alternative forms of signal control for individual intersections and include pretimed, semi-actuated, basic full-actuated, and volume-density control. The benefits considered for each type of control include stops, delay, capacity, safety, fuel consumption, and emissions. Costs considered include equipment costs, installation, operation, and maintenance costs. The costs and benefits were analyzed for vehicle and roadway characteristics commonly found at individual intersections. In addition, a methodology was developed for identifying the incremental benefits that would be produced by providing coordinated operation when upstream signals are present. The effect of signal timing and detector placement on controller performance is also considered. Procedures are presented for deriving emissions and fuel consumption estimates from the vehicle stops and delays at the intersection. A nationwide survey of controller acquisition, installation, and maintenance costs produced cost comparisons between alternative types of control, number of controller phases, and controller design (electromechanical, solid state-analog, solid state-digital, and microprocessor). The guidelines are prepared in a step-by-step manner beginning with data collection and proceeding through an analysis that permits the engineer to identify the most-effective form of control for a given set of traffic and roadway conditions.
- Work performed under NCHRP Project 3-27, "Guidelines for Selecting Traffic Signal Control at Individual Intersections." Loan copies only are available from NCHRP.
National Cooperative Highway Research ProgramTransportation Research Board
500 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20001
Washington, DC USA 20001
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Tarnoff, P J
- Parsonson, P S
- Publication Date: 1979-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 132 p.
- TRT Terms: Actuated traffic signal controllers; Benefit cost analysis; Building; Coordination; Cost effectiveness; Costs; Equipment; Facilities; Fuel consumption; Highway capacity; Installation; Intersections; Maintenance management; Operating costs; Pollutants; Safety; Signalized intersections; Traffic actuated controllers; Traffic control; Traffic delays; Traffic signal controllers; Traffic signal timing; Vehicle characteristics; Vehicle detectors
- Uncontrolled Terms: Intersection capacity; Maintenance costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Equipment cost; Traffic control systems
- Subject Areas: Construction; Energy; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00308127
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, TRB, USDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1980 12:00AM