PROPELLER DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE CALCULATION BY COMPUTER
In the initial design stage of ships, various problems are examined prior to the detailed design. Among these, propulsive performance in the steady state is the most vital one, which is directly related to ship's dimensions, main engine output and ship's navigation speed and is the base of various other examination items. Meanwhile, the recent tendency toward tankers of enormous size and container ships or ocean-going car ferries of high power and speed produces critical problems from a hydrodynamic view point. These matters require systemization and high efficiency in the initial design procedure, i.e., the application of a computer to the design system is desired, which enables us to make more accurate examination much sooner, to determine the ship's principal dimensions, main engine output and stern form which have direct influences on propulsive performance or hull vibration. These considerations have resulted in a computer program--PPP (propeller design and performance calculation program)-which is concerned with propeller design as a main part and ship's propulsive performance calculation as a chain in the system. Its design concept, contents and effects are outlined in this paper.
- Presented at the International Conference on Computer Applications in the Automation of Shipyard Operation and Ship Design, held by IFIP/IFAC/JSNA, Tokyo, Japan, Aug. 28-30, 1973.
North Holland Publishing Company335 Jan Van Galenstraat, P.O. Box 103
- OKAMOTO, H
- Tamai, H
- SAITO, Y
- Takasugi, N
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- Issue Number: II-3
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamic lift; Analysis; Computers; Information processing; Naval architecture; Performance; Propellers; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computer aided analysis; Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Lifting surface theory; Propeller design; Propeller performance; Wake adapted propellers
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00051809
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Purdue University
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 18 1974 12:00AM