SELF-SERVICE FARE COLLECTION. VOLUME I: REVIEW AND SUMMARY
Interest in the European system of fare collection for urban transit broadly known as Self-Service Fare Collection (SSFC) has been growing in the U.S. The European experience indicates that SSFC promotes greater operating efficiency and improved service delivery. The common features of SSFC--self-monitoring, fare payment, receipts, ticket inspection and penalties--represent substantial departures from the current operating procedures and existing legal powers of U.S. transit systems. This 4-volume study discusses the European SSFC system and the relative merits of the alternative approaches to self-service with respect to their application in the United States. Volume I of this study describes the European approach to and rationale for self-service fare collection; documents the experience European transit systems have had with using and enforcing these procedures; and discusses the relative merits of the alternative approaches to self-service with respect to their application in the United States.
- See also Volume 2, PB80-132269. Also available in set of 4 reports PC E13, PB80-132244.
Mitre CorporationMetrek Division, 1820 Dolley Madison Boulveard
McLean, VA USA 22102
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Deibel, L E
- Stern, S
- Strickland, L R
- Sulek, J
- Publication Date: 1979-8
- Pagination: 90 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic fare collection; Automation; Economic efficiency; Equipment; Fare collection; Feasibility analysis; Level of service; Payment; Penalties; Productivity; Public transit; Rapid transit; Revenues; Reviews; Transit operating agencies; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Services
- Geographic Terms: Canada; Europe; Western Europe
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00305915
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MTR-79W00087-01, UMTA-VA-06-0049-79-2
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-800047
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM