IDENTIFICATION OF APPROACHES FOR THE CONTROL OF HEALTH, ENVIRONMENTAL, AND SAFETY HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH AIR BAG USE AND DISPOSAL
The program was undertaken to examine previous work conducted by various parties in order to assess the magnitude of any potential risks resulting from the use of air bag restraint systems. Specific potential hazards associated with the safe handling and disposal of inflator modules were identified and individual amelioration techniques were examined for various stages of vehicle life cycle. A countermeasure analysis indicated that perhaps the most effective method for providing the safe handling of retired cars with undeployed air bags requires that they be safely deployed early in the automobile recycling process.
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA USA 02140
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1979-8
- Pagination: 130 p.
- TRT Terms: Air bags; Automobiles; Gases; Hazards; Health; Recycling; Risk assessment; Safety; Traffic safety; Waste disposal
- Uncontrolled Terms: Disposal
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00305890
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-805-184 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-8-01995
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM