MANAGING SEPTA (SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY) STRATEGICALLY
A decision process is described, which involves expressing an organization's functions as discrete projects related to a clearly defined set of objectives, and then comparing the projects through cost-effectiveness analysis. The involvement of management, employees and citizens, along with the effect of responsibility and reward on job performance, is discussed. The environment in which SEPTA must function in the years to come is considered by examining a set of possible alternative regional futures, market share, and the land use-public transportation relationship. An attempt is made to compare the performance of a variety of SEPTA modes serving two different density-defined areas. The report presents a goals structure for SEPTA consistent with this decision and encompassing the regional concerns identified earlier. Using this goals structure, the study tests various samples projects for cost-effectiveness. Throughout the report, an emphasis is placed on reinforcement - the pooling of resources by SEPTA and other parties to achieve mutual objectives.
Office of Science and Technology17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20506
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Sloan, A R
- Publication Date: 1979-9
- Pagination: 227 p.
- TRT Terms: Budgeting; Cost effectiveness; Decision making; Land use; Management; Marketing; Planning; Policy; Project management; Public transit; Regional planning; Strategic planning; Transportation operations; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Systems management
- Geographic Terms: Pennsylvania
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning; Project analysis; Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00305821
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-PA-09-0005-79-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 20 1981 12:00AM