NORTHWEST INDIANA TRANSIT SYSTEM PROGRAM. PHASE I REPORT: EXISTING TRANSIT SYSTEM CHARACTERISTICS AND DEMAND ANALYSIS
The Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission (NIRPC) had a Transit System Program (TSP) prepared. This TSP is intended to serve as a basic reference for future transit planning. As such, it is being used to develop the transit improvement program (TIP) for the region and serve as the transit element of the transportation systems management (TSM) program. The goal of the study was to prepare a five-year capital improvement and noncapital intensive program for mass transportation that is consistent with the goals and policies of NIRPC, with Urban Mass Transportation Administration requirements, and with accepted transit engineering/planning practices, and also responsive to local needs and desires. The transit system program is being coordinated with other regional plans and developed with the understanding that it should be updated annually. The study is completed in three phases with a separate report issued at the conclusion of each phase: Phase 1-Existing Transit System Characteristics and Demand Analysis; Phase 2-Plan Development; Phase 3-Five-Year Transit Improvement Recommendations. This report summarizes the work completed in Phase 1 of the study. This work included extensive data collection. It included discussions with, and obtaining operating statistics from the existing transit operators; interviews with representatives of special interest groups; a survey of current transit riders; and the assembly and review of all pertinent planning data. The data was then analyzed to review the operation of existing transit service and identify shortcomings, determine existing and unfilled demand for public transportation, and to identify key problems and issues relating to mass transportation in Lake and Porter Counties.
- See also Volume 2, PB80-111214. Sponsored in part by Urban Mass Transportation Administration, Washington, DC. Prepared for Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission, Highland. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E11, PB80-111198.
Barton-Aschman Associates, Incorporated820 Davis Street
Evanston, IL United States 60204
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-2
- Pagination: 123 p.
- TRT Terms: Commuter service; Coordination; Data collection; Needs assessment; Passengers; Public transit; Regional planning; Reviews; Ridership; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: Amtrak; Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad
- Geographic Terms: Indiana
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00305543
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 11 1982 12:00AM