COMPUTER CONTROLS CONTAINER CARGOES
United States Lines has installed an on-line computer system which can instantaneously pinpoint the location and status of any of USLs 20,000 plus containers. The system keeps an up-to-the-minute record on all data pertaining to container movements and vessel bookings, answers all inquires about equipment or booking status, and updates bills of lading and container historical files. Nerve center of the control operation is an IBM 360/40 computer installed at USL headquarters in New York. IBM 2740 terminals are linked to the computer via direct telephone lines. These terminals are located in the companys cargo forwarding offices in the United States. A company computer service operation in Rotterdam is also tied in with the New York unit. Details are given for the new documentation procedures.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/07325460
Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation30 Church Street
New York, NY USA 10007
- Publication Date: 1970-3
- Pagination: 61 p.
- Marine Engineering/Log
- Volume: 75 N
- Issue Number: 3
- Publisher: New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corp.
- ISSN: 0732-5460
- TRT Terms: Automation; Container handling; Control systems; Driver information systems; Freight documents
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo information systems
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00015197
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1973 12:00AM