URBAN TRANSPORTATION: INTERMODAL CONSIDERATION AND EVALUATION OF SHORT DISTANCE TRANSPORT TECHNIQUES
The project is divided into four parts: (1) Requirements of Short-Distance Transport Systems; (2) Inventory; (3) Assessment and Comparison; and (4) Conclusions. Different groups of people have different requirements with regard to short-distance transport systems. The study examines the various requirements from the points of view of passengers, town and traffic planning, community/environment, and public transport operators. In each of the areas discussed, judgement criteria can be defined for the various requirements. The inventory is based on three elements: (1) brief system descriptions; (2) description of existing transport systems and their future development; and (3) description of new transport systems. Questionnaires for system data have been developed and annexed to the section containing the system descriptions. The section dealing with the description of existing short-distance transport systems and their future development covers rapid transit railways, tramways, motor buses as well as the system groups dual-mode and dial-a-bus; the difference between the latter two bus systems and the conventional bus consisting, in the first case, in an additional technical component (track-guidance), in the second case, in the operating concept (possibility of ordering or calling a bus). The assessment and comparison of short-distance transport systems can be effected by means of formalised assessment methods or by verbal comparison. Section 1 of chapter 3 outlines the three assessment approaches: (1) cost-benefit analysis; (2) cost-effectiveness analysis, and (3) multi-attribute utility analysis. The chapter "conclusions" describes cost developments of transport systems.
- Report on CCMS: Urban Transportation Pilot Study.
NATO Committee on the Challenges of Modern SocietyBrussels, Belgium
- Publication Date: 1976-10
- Pagination: 375 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Benefit cost analysis; Competition; Cost effectiveness; Evaluation; Intermodal transportation; Light rail transit; Passengers; Public transit; Questionnaires; Rapid transit; Specifications; Transportation modes; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Requirement
- Geographic Terms: Canada; France; Italy; United Kingdom
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical techniques; Shear span
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00305443
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NATO/CCMS-57
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 11 1981 12:00AM