RAILROAD SAFETY: U.S.-CANADIAN COMPARISON
In June 1978, the Subcommittee on Transportation and Commerce of the House of Representatives Interstate and Foreign Commerce requested the Office of Technology Assessment to conduct "a detailed comparison between conditions prevailing in railway safety in the United States and a review of safety operations in Canada." Responding to this request, this report identifies the similarities and differences between the U.S. and Canadian railroad systems and Government/rail relationships. It establishes a base from which the overall comparability of safety activities of Canadian railroads, Government, labor, and other organizations and compares those efforts with counterpart safety activities in the United States. The report represents a significant cooperative effort on the part of Canadian and U.S. Government agencies, railroads, and labor groups in creating mutual understanding of railroad safety policy and programs.
- Record URL:
- Library of Congress catalog card no. 79-600145.
Office of Technology Assessment1730 K Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20006
- Publication Date: 1979-8
- Pagination: 100 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Crash data; Crash risk forecasting; Crashes; Deferred maintenance; Derailments; Deregulation; Fatalities; Freight cars; Hazardous materials; Industry structure; Insurance; Labor relations; Loading and unloading; Maintenance; Management; Networks; Policy; Railroad grade crossings; Railroad tracks; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Regulations; Risk analysis; Risk assessment; Safety; Safety education; Safety engineering; Statistics; Training; Transportation operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: Canada; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies; Government regulations; Grade crossing safety; Loading procedures; Management policies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Education and Training; Law; Maintenance and Preservation; Policy; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00305416
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OTA-T-95
- Files: NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 11 1980 12:00AM