FARS (FATAL ACCIDENT REPORTING SYSTEM) DATA AND SIDE IMPACT COLLISIONS
Information on side-impact fatal accident cases has been extracted from the NHTSA's 1977 Fatal Accident Reporting System (FARS) files, combined with parallel information from the National Crash Severity Study (NCSS), and used to estimate the relative frequency of various kinds of side-impact collisions. The analysis has been restricted to passenger cars to estimate the number of fatalities, the total number of occupats in all towaway crashes, and the ratio of these two numbers. Data are shown for (1) right and left side impacts, (2) for vehicles impacted by other cars, by trucks, or by fixed objects, and (3) for drivers vs. other seated positions bs. others. About 60% of the side-impact fatalities in passenger cars in the U.S. occur as the result of the car being struck by a truck or striking a fixed object: most of the other 40% result from impact by another passenger car. A principal purpose of this analysis was to assess the value of the FARS data in providing an understanding of a particular accident type, and the conclusion is drawn that FARS is useful now, and is likely to be more so in the future. Since it contains the census of fatal highway accidents in the U.S., conclusions drawn from this file are limited only by inaccuracies in the data and not by statistical sampling considerations. Appended to this report is a dictionary-codebook for the 1977 FARS file used for the analysis presented herein. The tabulations presented in the codebook show the one-way distributions for crashes, vehicles, and occupants in fatal accidents in the U.S. during 1977.
- Sponsored in part by Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association of the United States, Inc., Detroit, MI.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
Motor Vehicles Manufacturers Association320 New Center Building
Detroit, MI United States 48202
- O'Day, J
- Kaplan, R J
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Pagination: 98 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Casualties; Census; Crash injury research; Crash reports; Crashes; Fatalities; Highway safety; Highway transportation; Impacts; Research; Side crashes; Statistical analysis; Traffic crashes; Trucks; Vehicle occupants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Motor Carriers; Passenger Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00305334
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-79-36 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 11 1983 12:00AM