UPDATING TRADE COEFFICIENTS IN THE MULTIREGIONAL INPUT-OUTPUT MODEL. RESEARCH REPORT NO. 22
The report describes and tests a gravity type model for updating estimates of trade coefficients which are used in multiregional input-output models. The 1963 coefficients are derived from estimates of gross flows of commodities by industry and region of origin and by region of destination. The model could use a variety of data inputs, but Census industry information would probably be the most useful. The model was tested for coal, electricity, machinery, and electronic components on both a 9- and a 51-region matrix. The results demonstrated that the model showed promise, particularly with aggregated commodity groups. Although more testing is needed to recommend this tool for general application, the authors conclude that the model may well be superior to using outdated coefficients for forecasting flows of industries with rapidly changing patterns of production and consumption.
- Sponsored in part by Federal Railroad Administration, Washington, DC.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Urban Studies and Planning, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Economic Development AdministrationEconomic Research Division
Washington, DC United States 20230
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Trainer, G
- Howland, M
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Census; Coal; Coal industry; Coefficients; Commodities; Commodity flow; Demand; Economic analysis; Economic models; Electrical equipment; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Input output models; Machinery; Marketing; Mathematical models; Origin and destination; Regional economics; Regions; Statistical analysis; Supply; Trade; Traffic forecasting
- Old TRIS Terms: Commodity flow patterns; Supply economics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00305310
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EDA/ERD-80/001
- Contract Numbers: EDA-OER-554-G-78-8, EDA-OER-554-G-79-5
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 11 1980 12:00AM