AERODYNAMIC CHARACTERISTICS OF SIXTEEN ELECTRIC, HYBRID, AND SUBCOMPACT VEHICLES
An elementary electric and hybrid vehicle aerodynamic data base was developed using data obtained on sixteen electric, hybrid, and sub-compact production vehicles tested in the Lockheed-Georgia low-speed wind tunnel. Zero-yaw drag coefficients ranged from a high of 0.58 for a boxey delivery van and an open roadster to a low of about 0.34 for a current four-passenger proto-type automobile which was designed with aerodynamics as an integrated parameter. Vehicles were tested at yaw angles up to 40 degrees and a wing weighting analysis is presented which yields a vehicle's effective drag coefficient as a function of wing velocity and driving cycle. Other parameters investigated included the effects of windows open and closed, radiators open and sealed, and pop-up headlights. Complete six-component force and moment data are presented in both tabular and graphical formats. Only limited commentary is offered since, by its very nature, a data base should consist of unrefined reference material. A justification for pursuing efficient aerodynamic design of EHVs is presented.
- Prepared for NASA and the Department of Energy.
Jet Propulsion LaboratoryCalifornia Institute of Technology, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA United States 91103
- KURTZ, D W
- Publication Date: 1979-6-30
- Pagination: 96 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamics; Data reduction; Drag; Drag factor (Chemistry); Electric automobiles; Electric vehicles; Graphs; Headlamps; Hybrid automobiles; Hybrid vehicles; Slopes; Soil stabilization; Tables (Data); Urban transportation; Vehicle design; Vehicle dynamics; Void ratios; Wind tunnels; Yaw
- Uncontrolled Terms: Low speed
- Old TRIS Terms: Aerodynamic characteristics; Drag factor; Graphs charts; Slope protection
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Geotechnology; Highways; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00305136
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-CR-158814, JPL-PUB-79-59
- Contract Numbers: NAS7-100
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 11 1981 12:00AM