NDT (NON-DESTRUCTIVE TEST)/ROAD CORRELATION. SUMMARY REPORT
The purpose of this study was to obtain an additional data base to determine the potential applications of NDT water-coupled ultrasonics. Several NDT methods were compared and water-coupled ultrasonics produced the most accurate and repeatable data for three-dimensionally positioning tire anomalies. For the continuation of the evaluation of water-coupled ultrasonics 75 recapped test tires were obtained, including bias, bias-belted and radial, and scheduled for 10,000 miles of highway durability. The tires, in general, only obtained one-third that mileage due to catastrophic failures and treadwear anomalies. These tires were NDT-inspected prior to test and after test to analyze the ability of water-coupled ultrasonics to differentiate between those tire anomalies which lead to degraded road performance and those which do not. Tires were cut at the end of test to verify the NDT results. The results showed that water-coupled ultrasonics can determine anomalies; however, the effectiveness of the device depends on the experience of the data analyst. Refinement of water-coupled ultrasonics NDT under this study has vastly improved the viability of the system. However, application will be limited until a data base is obtained such that anomalies can be appropriately identified.
Nevada Automative Test CenterCarson City, NV United States 89701
Washington, DC United States 20590
- HODGES, H C
- Hodges, HCJ
- Publication Date: 1979-4-18
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Accuracy; Correlation analysis; Deviation (Statistics); Durability; Nondestructive tests; Performance; Radial ply tires; Retreaded tires; Tires; Ultrasonic tests; Ultrasonics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Anomalies; Field performance
- Old TRIS Terms: Radial tires
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00304830
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-805-034 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01589
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 30 1980 12:00AM