A THEORY FOR TRACK MAINTENANCE LIFE PREDICTION
Track maintenance life is a complex function of many factors. This report is concerned with a study to define a theoretical model for predicting track settlement under dynamic load, which is applicable to estimating maintenance life for railroad track structures. The behavior of each component of the track system is described to represent the progressive permanent settlement under vehicle loading. Ballast, subballast and subgrade materials are considered to be the primary components contributing to the permanent settlement. Test procedures and apparatus have been developed for determining the required properties. An evaluation of the available computer models for track analysis is made by validating their predictions with field measurements obtained from the FAST site in Colorado. Methods of predicting permanent deformation under repeated loading are reviewed, and a method which accounts for stress path is proposed.
State University of New York, BuffaloDepartment of Civil Engineering
Buffalo, NY United States 14260
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Selig, E T
- Chang, C S
- Adegoke, C W
- Alva-Hurtado, J E
- Publication Date: 1979-8
- Pagination: 199 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Deformation; Durability; Life cycle analysis; Maintenance; Maintenance management; Maintenance of way; Maintenance practices; Mathematical models; Planning; Railroad tracks; Repeated loads; Service life; Settlement (Structures); Subballast; Subgrade (Pavements); Triaxial shear tests; Validation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ballast; Triaxial tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Settlement structural; Track deformation
- Subject Areas: Design; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00304715
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPA/DPB-50/7922Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-70058
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 15 1980 12:00AM