AUTOMOTIVE MARKETING METHODS AND PRACTICE
The report is a comprehensive examination of the current marketing practices, marketing methodologies, and decision-making processes utilized by the domestic automotive industry. The various marketing elements, such as products, consumer behavior, sales, promotion, distribution, advertising, and regulatory constraints are reviewed as they pertain to the automotive industry. Specifically, the report's seven chapters include (1) a review of industry competitive relationships, (2) practical constraints on automotive decision-making, (3) corporate organization for decision-making, (4) understanding the consumer, (5) marketing decision-making, (6) assessment of current problems and issues, and (7) state-of-the-art summary. Four appendices focus on (1) the organization of General Motors Corporation, (2) the organization of Ford Motor Company, (3) the product and market planning process graphics, and (4) an example of a forward product strategy document. Where appropriate, the report highlights the differences in marketing approaches employed by the four automotive manufacturers and some of the adjustments and problems faced by these manufacturers in their marketing pursuits.
Green (Gilbert R) and Company, IncorporatedNatick, MA United States 01760
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Braden, P
- Marshak, S
- Whorf, R
- Publication Date: 1979-9
- Pagination: 185 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile industry; Automobiles; Competition; Decision making; Demand; Economic forecasting; Industries; Market research; Marketing; Motor vehicle industry; Needs assessment; Organization; Prices; Promotion; Publicity; Purchasing; Regulations; Reviews; Sales; State of the art studies
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Distributing; Organization theory; Promoting
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Law; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00304661
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TSC-NHTSA-79/31 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1322
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 15 1980 12:00AM