VEHICLE LONGITUDINAL CONTROL AND RELIABILITY PROJECT. A REVIEW OF ENTRAINMENT TECHNOLOGY
This report documents the results of a survey of entrainment technology conducted for the VLCR project. The technology review was conducted to evaluate the state-of-the-art in train formation and to identify those areas requiring special attention for Automated Guideway Transit (AGT) systems. The information which is summarized herein was derived through: (1) a literature search and review; (2) discussions with coupler manufacturers; (3) a questionnaire to rapid transit operators; and (4) a study of transit authority coupler specifications. The methods and the results obtained within each of these activities are described within the report. The literature search involved both manual and computerized search techniques. The most applicable documents are listed in the Appendix: "Annotated Bibliography". The discussions with coupler manufacturers allowed the formation of a list of existing coupling equipment applicable to systems and the assessment of potential difficulties in the adaptation of coupling equipment to AGT vehicles. Areas probably requiring significant further development were also identified. A questionnaire dealing with automatic coupling equipment and techniques was then prepared and transmitted to seven transit system operators. Through automatic entrainment and extrainment (or train separation) of individual vehicles, it is hoped that the operational efficiency of AGT systems may be improved. The report concludes, in part, that due to the lack of information in the area of automatic vehicle longitudinal control, the formulation of appropriate concepts in this area will require more original and basic work. The report presents a number of preliminary conclusions.
- See also PB-300373.
Otis Elevator CompanyTransportation Technology Division, 11380 Smith Road
Denver, CO United States 80010
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Schumacher, P
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 92 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Automatic control; Bibliographies; Couplers; Fastenings; Headways; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Shock absorbers; Technology assessment; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic coupling; Longitudinal stability; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00304635
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OTIS/TTD/VLCR-059 Final Rpt., UMTA-IT-06-0148-79-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70048
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 15 1982 12:00AM