PRT (PERSONAL RAPID TRANSIT) IMPACT STUDY. THE PHASE 1 PRT IMPACT ON MORGANTOWN TRAVEL TRAFFIC AND ASSOCIATED ACTIVITIES
A new and revolutionary public transportation system, the Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) System began regular passenger service operation in Morgantown, West Virginia, in October 1975. This is a study of the impact of Phase I Morgantown PRT, the first fully automated transportation system operational in a city environment. The study was designed to record the effect of the system operation on traffic and associated activities in the areas adjacent to the PRT. The intent of the study was to provide information useful to other areas contemplating the Automated Guideway Transit (AGT) type installations. The PRT system served approximately 38% of the Morgantown residents. During the course of the study, it was concluded that the system was a major force in influencing travel habits, and that residents of the service area used autos for their trips less often than they did prior to the PRT. Compared to the bus system, which it replaced, the PRT is carrying more than the bus's previous share of the total trips.
- See also Volume 1, PB-300342, PB-254481, and PB-254483. Also available in set of 3 reports, PB-300340-SET.
West Virginia University, MorgantownMorgantown, WV USA 26506
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- ELIAS, SEG
- Ward, R E
- Publication Date: 1979-7
- Pagination: 88 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Automated guideway transit; Automated vehicle control; Automobile travel; Bus transit; Competition; Demonstration projects; Guideways; Impact studies; Personal rapid transit; Ridership; Transportation modes; Transportation planning; Travel patterns; Urban transportation
- Geographic Terms: Morgantown (West Virginia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Automated transit system; Bus transportation (Intracity)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00304630
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0026-79-1Final Rpt., DOT-TSC-UMTA-79-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1316
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 15 1982 12:00AM