UNDERWATER NONDESTRUCTIVE TESTING EQUIPMENT AND TECHNIQUES
Aimed at producing hardware for ship hull inspections, this project focused on stereophotography, ultrasonic thickness gaging and flaw detection, and magnetic particle inspections. In each case, hardware was chosen on the basis of an extensive survey of users and manufacturers both in America and Europe. Modification and adaptation of off-the-shelf equipment was performed at NCSC in order to arrive at systems easily used by U.S. Navy divers, and tests were run to determine the performance of each system under laboratory and field conditions. The stereophotography system described is an inexpensive unit which produced photogrphs of excellent quality in spite of zero visibility conditions. Corrosion pit depths or fouling heights can be measured to approximately + or - 1/64 inch, and incipient paint blistering can be detected before the blisters pop. The ultrasonic equipment described provides audible feedback to the diver to assist him in positioning the transducer. Also, thickness readings and flaw signal amplitudes can be stored on computer tape. The magnetic particle inspection systems include permanent record techniques such as magnetic rubber and transferring magnetic particles to a variety of putty-like materials.
- Presented at the International Diving Symposium Held in New Orleans, LA on 5-7 Feb 79.
Naval Coastal Systems CenterWest Highway 98
Panama City, FL USA 32407
- Barrett, F
- Mittleman, J
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Corrosion; Cracking; Defects; Detection and identification; Detectors; Equipment; Equipment tests; Flaw detection; Hulls; Inspection; Magnetic detectors; Measurement; Monitoring; Nondestructive tests; Stereoscopic cameras; Test procedures; Thickness; Ultrasonic tests; Underwater construction; Underwater photography; Underwater structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship hulls; Underwater inspection
- Old TRIS Terms: Corrosion monitoring; Hull inspection; Magnetic detection; Stereophotography; Test equipment; Underwater equipment
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00304294
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1980 12:00AM