GREENWICH-LEWISHAM FREIGHT STUDY
The study was undertaken to obtain a clear understanding of the working of the freight transport system in a sample sector of London. The study area chosen contains a wide variety of land uses and suffers many of the environmental and traffic problems common in conurbations. The surveys were designed to provide a general description of freight movements and the activities giving rise to them together with an understanding of the transport requirements and objectives of firms and their likely reactions to possible controls on goods vehicle movements. The data collected demonstrate the complexity of conurbation freight operations and have been used by the Greater London Council in its study of lorry routing and large-area controls. The results indicate that such restrictions can only be supported if adequate alternative roads are available to accommodate the diverted traffic.
- Also pub. as ISSN-0305-1315.
Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom
- Hasell, B B
- Christie, A W
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: Control; Freight transportation; Highway traffic; Networks; Roads; Transportation operations; Trucks; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00304174
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TRRL-SUPPLEMENTARY-407
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 19 1981 12:00AM