GUIDELINES FOR RESIDENT PARKING SCHEMES
Residents in certain sections of metropolitan and urban areas are facing increasing difficulties in obtaining parking space owing to an influx of motorists seeking parking within residential streets. A resident who has no off-street-parking or who cannot reasonably provide such a facility is most disadvantaged. Whilst the law does not provide for a resident having the right to kerbspace in front of or close to his or her residence, there may be ground for some preferential treatment where parking can be permitted. A technique used to improve the lot of the resident of the above mentioned areas is to designate a proportion of the kerbspace within the problem area for "period" parking, with exemption for authorised residents. Such a scheme is generally known as a resident parking scheme, and may be introduced to operate in a particular street or area. These schemes should be considered only as a short-term solution and every effort made to otherwise relieve the situation on a long-term basis. This manual provides general guidelines on resident parking schemes. /TRRL/
New South Wales Traffic Authority, AustraliaRothschild Avenue, Roseberry
Sydney, New South Wales 2018, Australia
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Curb side parking; Guidelines; Interviewing; Law enforcement; Parking; Parking facilities; Parking regulations; Residential areas; Traffic regulations; Traffic signs; Urban areas
- Old TRIS Terms: Parking place
- ITRD Terms: 1534: Enforcement (law); 9147: Interview; 977: Kerb side parking (parallel to the kerb); 955: Parking; 975: Parking place (one veh only); 307: Residential area; 1544: Traffic regulations; 553: Traffic sign; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Security and Emergencies; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00303769
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM