OPTIMIZING THE FORKLIFT TRUCK LOAD CASE FOR BOX CAR SIDE GIRDER DESIGN
The Association of American Railroads specifies capacity and geometry for lift trucks which must be considered in box car side girder design. The designer's problem is to locate the lift truck in the doorway at the location which will result in a maximum state of stress. This paper outlines an exact method for determination of the critical lift truck location for symmetrical side girder. Also discussed is an approximate method which determines the critical lift truck location as a function of door opening width and truck centers.
- Contributed by the Rail Transportation Division of The American Society of Mechanical Engineers for presentation at the Winter Annual Meeting, New York, New York, December 2-7, 1979.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Kinnecom, P G
- Publication Date: 1979-8
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Box cars; Doors (Vehicles); Floors; Freight cars; Materials management; Motor vehicle bodies; Specifications; Structural analysis; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Car body; Freight car design; Freight car doors
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00303606
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: 79-WA/RT-8 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 11 1980 12:00AM