INFRARED TIRE INSPECTION TECHNIQUE
The non-destructive testing of tires to determine the presence of structural defects is accomplished in the patent application by means of a thermal imaging system including an infrared detector which moves about an arc transverse to the annular centroid of a rotating tire. Signals commensurate with heat build-up in the localized area on which the infrared sensor is focused, the position of the infrared detector and the rotational position of the tire are applied to and stored in a scan converter which, upon command, provides an image to a video monitor and recorder. Rapid heat build-up, commensurate with the presence of a defect, is determined by comparison of images generated during successive scannings.
- Government-owned invention available for licensing. Copy of application available NTIS.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- BOBO, S N
- Ehrenbeck, R
- Lavery, L A
- Publication Date: 1973-8-22
- Pagination: 17 p.
- Old TRIS Terms: Gpdot
- Accession Number: 00051667
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-390 614 Patent Apl
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 24 2003 12:00AM