PHYSICAL PROPERTIES AND STABILITY OF WATER IN FUEL OIL EMULSIONS
This report presents the first year interim results from a two year effort to determine the physical properties of water-in-fuel oil emulsions. Ultrasonically induced cavitation was used to produce emulsions in gasoline, No. 2 diesel oil, No. 4 heating oil, and No. 6 fuel oil without the use of surfactants. Density and viscosity measurements for each of the four fuels used are presented for various temperatures in the range from 20 deg C to 90 deg C. Interfacial tension measurements, against water for each of the four fuels used are presented for temperatures in the range from 30 deg C to 79 deg C. Density measurements for water-in-gasoline emulsions are presented for volume fractions of water ranging from 0.00 to 0.10, at 0 deg C and 30 deg C. Density measurements of water-in-No. 2 diesel oil, No. 4 heating oil, and No. 6 fuel oil are presented for volume fractions of water ranging from 0.00 to 0.10, at 30 deg C and 60 deg C. The viscosity and other rheological properties for similar emulsions at comparable temperatures are given. In addition, the stability of water-in-fuel oil emulsions has been studied. A scanning electron microscope and a spectrophotometer were used to study the aging of oil-in-water emulsions, while water-in-oil emulsions were studied using a creaming cell.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborDepartment of Chemical Engineering
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Fogler, H S
- Reddy, S R
- Storbeck, M L
- Cross, J B
- Siegmund, S C
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 107 p.
- TRT Terms: Density; Dispersers; Emulsions; Fuel conservation; Fuel emulsions; Fuel oils; Interfaces; Physical properties; Stability (Mechanics); Tension; Ultrasonics; Viscosity; Water
- Old TRIS Terms: Ultrasonic emulsification
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00303224
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPA/DPB50/78/17Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-70056
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 15 1980 12:00AM