IMPLEMENTATION PACKAGE FOR USE OF LIQUID CALCIUM CHLORIDE TO IMPROVE DEICING AND SNOW REMOVAL OPERATIONS
The report presents highlights of the methods developed by the Iowa State Highway Commission for accelerating the deicing of roadways by using salt prewetted with liquid calcium chloride. The following areas were researched: How to reduce the over $1 million annual cost of salt used on Iowa highways; how to obtain effective melting action at temperatures below 20F; how to reduce the roadside pollution potential due to salt; how to reduce overtime labor costs on winter maintenance work.
- Implementation Package-73-2.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bazarth, F M
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Budgeting; Calcium chloride; Deicing; Highways; Inorganic salts; Labor market; Maintenance; Melting; Roads; Snow removal; Solutions (Chemistry)
- Geographic Terms: Iowa
- Old TRIS Terms: Solutions
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00051595
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 25 1974 12:00AM